Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Planking

I'm reliving the basics and getting back into core exercises.  If its one thing I know it is that I do not do nearly enough core work and as an injured runner I STILL do not do enough core work.  Well that is all changing this week as I have started up with doing dedicated core exercises.  I'm aiming for at least 5 times a week as my routine only takes me 10 minutes.  So without further ado here is my "pick of the week"
THE PLANK
Choose a level and work towards holding the position for 60 seconds.
Your elbows should be directly under your shoulders. 
Engage your glutes and abdominals.
The wider you place your feet the easier it is, try aim for hip width.
Create a straight, strong line from head to toe.
Do NOT
- let your hips/butt sag down
- look up or down at the ground

THE SIDE PLANK
Choose a level and whilst still lying on the floor slowly raise your hips up and hold to perform the side plank; again work towards holding the position for 60 seconds.
Your elbow should be directly under your shoulders. 
Keep hips square and abdominals engaged.
Create a straight, strong line from head to toe.
Do NOT
- let your hips/butt sag down
- look up or down at the ground

Happy planking everyone.

Laraxx