Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Nutella Oat Bars

Nutella Oat Bars
I made these last night in the middle of prepping dinner while my spaghetti mince simmered away. So as promised here is the recipe for them.
150g Butter
100g Dark muscovada sugar (its what I had in the cupboard I'm pretty sure that demerera or golden castor sugar would work just as nicely)
1TBSP Nutella .... not level you understand but not heaped to spilling over either ;-)
250g Oats
1/4 cup desiccated coconut (optional extra as would chopped fruit, nuts, or seeds)

Put the butter in a large bowl and melt; you can use a bain marie but I used the microwave & it took just under 2 minutes (I did 1minute-stir-1minute-stir)
Add the sugar and Nutella and stir to mix
Add the oats and coconut (& any other optional extras you are adding)
I used this porridge oats with oat bran and wheat bran that I found in Sainsburys but normal oats will do fine.

I put my mixture into a 9" square silicon "pan" (press it down well) and baked at 150ÂșC fan for 16 minutes which made them soft'ish in the middle and crunchy around the edges.  If you like a solid crunchy oat bar test it by leaving them in for an extra minute or 2 and if you like them softer then go a few minutes less.
*Also remember that everyones oven will be different.
Don't forget to slice your bars whilst they are warm - I'm greedy so I went for chunky 9 bar squares.

Let me know if you try these and how you enjoy them.

Laraxx