Sunday, 12 January 2014

Healthy Homemade Snack Balls

I have done something possibly rather silly in that I have booked myself onto an 06:45 AM spin class Monday morning and then today I started to worry about how I was going to fuel myself for said earlier than the birds get up spin class.  I've been craving healthier foods recently and then I remembered making healthy nutty date type energy balls once before and loving them, so this morning I bought some dates & cashew nuts and got to work.
I was in Sainsbury's so that is what I went for
I used THIS recipe as a guide
**Dates: 62g (10 dates)
1 cup cashew nuts
1 heaped tsp cocoa (I may use more next time)
Blitz the nuts first
Add the cocoa powder and blitz for a second or two
Add 6 dates to start and add as you go (I used 11 in the end)
Blitz until sticky and can form a ball with the mix
I used a teaspoon to scoop mixture and then formed into balls in the palms of my hands
I got 20 out of this mix
Nutritional blurb:
The end result was enjoyed by all adults present and accounted for, the kids thankfully declined to try.
I'm aiming for the bigger ones to snack tomorrow morning before spin class ;-)

Whilst I'm feeling slightly sluggish from an exercise perspective (I'm blaming the weather) at the moment, I'm sure these will DEFINITELY give me vooma to get though the class.

How do you motivate yourself  when its cold, wet and miserable?
I find it hard but something like these energy balls certainly help

Laraxx

**I soaked the dates for about 5 minutes in some boiling water to soften them.