Saturday, 14 July 2012

My diet for the last 2 weeks

OK, I have been putting this off for a while and if stories about diets bore you I won't be offended if you come back for my next post and not read on. If you are a vegetarian or more so a vegan then this is  not really a post you want to be reading as it will contain a lot about animal products and meats.
Also before I go further: I am not a doctor nor a nutritionalist, see your doctor before starting any diet programme.  What I write here is my opinion and experience. I do not claim this to be a great way of eating (especially in the first week) but in the long run it does get you eating healthy & balanced with a long term view of keeping the weight off.

What am I taking about?  Well I'm talking about the Dukan Diet!


So what is the Dukan Diet?  It's a method for losing and stabilizing your weight in 4 phases (the following is form the Dukan Website HERE)
4 phases which occupy the dieter from day one so that they never again feel like abandoning the diet.
4 phases, from the strongest, most supported and effective, to the most open and stabilizing. 
4 phases to be carried out successively in order to reach the ideal weight target: lose weight naturally, rapidly and stabilize for good.

Attack Phase:
A brief and headlong ATTACK phase with immediate results. During this phase, the diet is made up of 72 high-protein foods enabling quick weight loss.
Cruise Phase:
A CRUISE phase leading to the True Weight. During this phase, the diet alternates Pure Protein days (PP phases) and Proteins accompanied with 28 recommended Vegetables (PV phases).
Consolidation phase:
This phase needs to consist of 10 days per kg lost which prepares for the return to a balanced diet. Monitored freedom with a target of establishing this freshly conquered and still vulnerable ideal weight. This phase sees the gradual return of pleasurable foods with two festive meals. 
Stabilisation Phase:
A definitive stabilization phase based on 3 simple, concrete, easy but non-negotiable measures. This phase is both the easiest and most essential in our slimming method because 95% of people who follow a diet put back on the weight they have lost.


Here is what Mr Dukan's ideal weight calculator has to say about me and my weight loss progression:


I have been on this diet for almost 2 weeks now so have completed my "attack phase" of pure proteins and have moved on to the cruise phase. In week 1 I can honestly say that I had no cravings what so ever - I was consumed with devising tasty eats within the guidelines of proteins and low fat dairy ... to this end I'd like to also say I personally think I was highly successful and loved every single one of our meals.

A few of Week 1 meals
L to R top to bottom: 
Bacon & scrambled egg; Dukan pancake prawn fritatta & grilled salmon; match latte; Prawn & Crab fritatta with smoked salmon & dill; Dukan pancake with grilled steak & cottage cheese, ham cottage cheese parcels with chicken alive & smoked mackerel; Chili turkey burgers with mint forage frays dip; Chicken curry & Dukan pancake

To say I was VERY pleased to see salad and veggies on my plate would be an understatement, come Monday of week 2 I WANTED veggies and salad :-)

A few of Week 2 meals:
SALAD & cottage cheese with tuna; SALAD with Babotie
STIR FRY VEGGIES with sweet & sour beef

So the numbers!
Well I started at 80.3kgs and at last weigh in I was 76.6kg  Mondays weigh in will see if I have lost any more in week 2.  So far I am comfortable at keeping this up and have since week 1 had few cravings (in fact they were external stimuli that triggered them!).

I'll try not bore you senseless with diet stuff but the odd recipe will creep in. What I will note is that the lack of carbs has not had an effect on my running which I'm very pleased about.  Time will tell if that remains the status quo or if it changes.

Have you ever tried a "controversial" diet before and to what degree of success?

Happy Weekend everyone.
Laraxx