Monday, 28 May 2012

Muddling through the day

Well I somehow managed to get through today (it being Monday and all that), got the kiddos to school on time with all their bits and bobs.  Did the shopping and managed to mow the front garden with the petrol that was left over from mowing the field = REZULT :-)  The kids helped me wash my car this afternoon but as I put the chickens away walked past the car and noticed a few unwashed patches on their allocated doors ;-) ho-hum it was fun though.

I managed to do this before picking kids up
I love the colour :-)

The main reason for this post is that I wanted to share dinner with you, well not ACTUALLY share-share but show and share the recipe you understand.

I got a lovely dahl recipe off someones blog (sorry I have forgotten who's I don't mean to offend and it IS great).

So here is my version with added spinach...

200g lentils (I used 150g of red lentils & 50g of yellow lentils)
One onion, finely chopped
2-3 crushed garlic cloves (I used 3ish squirts of paste)
1 tsp each cumin and coriander 
Chicken stock (about 750mls for me)
1 bag spinach (I added to the recipe)

1.  Fry off the onions until soft. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander.  Cook for a further 2-3 minutes
2.  Add the lentils, and mix through thoroughly.  Add enough stock to cover the lentils to around 2 inches
3.  Cook for 20 minutes or so, until the lentils are soft
4.  Stir through the spinach and let it wilt
5.  Enjoy

What I noted: 
I need to learn how to cook yellow lentils (they were still a little eeerrrmmmm "al dente" for me)
Personally I need more spices next time.
Over all it was easy to make and tasted very good and I will be making it again :-)

Hope everyone had a good weekend, mine was fab - busy yet satisfying.

Laraxx