Thursday, 12 January 2012

This food malarky!

OK, I'm going to jump straight in with my statistics over the past 3 months, you are going to get the low down and dirty right here, right now of my weight & measurements (I'm 5'6" btw).

Apologies for the over run but it's easier to read!

OK so it IS a little freaky that my weight is EXACTLY the same down to the gram but that means my BMI & body fat % are as well.  I am pleased to see that I have lost 3cm off my waist and 1cm off the hipsters, but I clearly have not lost enough centimetres to affect my body fat percent.

So how can I loose centimetres and NOT loose weight I hear you ask?

"Good question" I say, can I find an answer? uuummm well not really.  I've trawled the internet and can't really find an answer because I'm not weight lifting or strength training, I'm running.  Am I rebuilding muscle?  I feel I am because I feel slightly slimmer and like my figure is changing.

What I did find was this:
"research suggests that muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one litre of muscle would weigh 1.06 kg and one litre of fat would weigh 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% denser than fat." source

I have also heard something along the lines that if you loose 1 inch off your body measurements its equated to a 5lb fat loss if you are weight training.

So I can conclude, in a very none scientific way, that I'm a little more dense but taking up less space ;-)

The food malarky bit:
What I'm taking from this post is that if I can make a concerted effort to cut out the cr@p food in my daily diet I'm hoping to reduce even more fat from my belly and my body fat % will come down as well.

Have you any experience or advice with this sort of thing?

Laraxx