Monday, 19 September 2011

Yoga DVD reviews

Power Yoga DVD
Power Yoga by Ursula Karven
Here is a youtube vid (ignore the tumbling weed & sand shuffling stuff at the start, it does enhance the atmosphere but is not part of the routine)


I find the DVD very well brilliantly narrated so I'm not craning my neck to see what I need to do, I just follow the narrator and its all good :-).  There is a lovely flow to the sequences and although a strenuous workout I'm the opposite of tense when I have finished.  Running time of the DVD is around 50 minutes (depends on how long you take advantage of corpse pose for I suppose ;-) ).
With my beginner and non yogi guru status I would give this DVD ......
*****5 stars out of 5

Kundalini Yoga DVD:

3 DVD box set
The Mantras of Kundalini Yoga: Be Happy, Achieve Wealth & Heal Yourself
This is Kundalini yoga by Maya Fiennes which is really relaxing, yoga breathing & mantras.

A bit of background on Kundalini yoga:
"What is Kundalini Yoga?  Kundalini yoga is an ancient form of yoga that has only been practiced in the west relatively recently. In 1969, Yogi Bhajan founded 3HO (the Healthy, Happy, Holy Organization) to introduce Kundalini to a broader population. Although Kundalini had not previously been taught to the public, Yogi Bhajan felt that everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy its benefits.
What Does Kundalini Mean?  The Kundalini is untapped energy (prana) at the base of the spine that can be drawn up through the body awakening each of the seven chakras. Full enlightenment occurs when this energy reaches the Crown Chakra. Kundalini energy is often represented as a snake coiled at the base of the spine."
Read More here

Here is a youtube vid of one of the exercises in one of the DVDs I have at home

I'd had this box set for at least 10 months before trying it.  I had watched them through and thought "yeah, OK, whatever" mmmmm a bit judgemental of me!!!!
So last week Monday I got them out and started.  Each DVD is about 50-60 minutes including exercises and mantras.  The exercises are not something I have ever practiced before but I felt totally comfortable doing them from the word go ..... I mean if I can chant mantras with hubby watching eating his toast & egg with coffee it can't be THAT daft ;-)
This yoga DVD box set will not get you burning calories if that is what you are looking for but I feel a wonderful sense of being whilst doing and after doing one of the DVDs.
With my beginner and non yogi guru status I would give this DVD ......
*****5 stars out of 5

Have you tried any of these styles of yoga or these DVDs?
Leave a comment and let me know.

laraxx

1 comment:

  1. All I have tried is yoga download .com (the free ones)- I like the narrator and then I have the pose guides on paper on the floor so I can check. I find some relaxing, some hard (yoga for runners has some hard poses but good for me I think) and yoga for weightloss is actually quite speedy. I felt self conscious doing it in front of Andy at first, but now we laugh together at the lady's voice, and I get on alright.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I read & digest them all :-)