Wednesday, 29 June 2011

DIET

Why has the word DIET landed with such a bad wrap?  If I were to say I loved the Mediterranean Diet would you ask "oooh what is that a new diet?? how much did you loose?" instead of "ooooh me to I loved the food on my last holiday in Greece".

DIET conjures up images like:


With our obsession with weight and what we eat and even how we eat it, we as a society seem to have labelled any weight loss system/plan/etc as a DIET and as such bad connotations have evolved around the word.  In reality, I feel we should be thinking of DIET as a way of eating as in "Eastern diet, Western diet, North African diet ...... HEALTHY diet".  DIETING on the otherhand deserves the bad wrap it gets ;-)

From Wikipedia:
Diet, in relation to food, might mean:
Diet (nutrition), the sum of the food consumed by an organism or group
Dieting, the deliberate selection of food to control body weight or nutrient intake
Diet food, foods that aid in dieting
Cuisine, the diet of a particular culture

I think I may illustrate my point better by saying that being a vegetarian or a vegan is never referred to as DIETING and yet it is deliberate selection of food by a group of people, however it is a healthy way to live your life.  It's a choice is what I think I'm trying to say.  And for me I think I am trying to work my brain out of the whole bad connotations associated with DIETS and DIETING and that what and why I choose to eat or not eat something is a way of life, a HEALTHY DIET I choose to follow.

I was just thinking out loud here, does anyone have any views of their own on the subject??
Or am I over analysing it!

laraxx

4 comments:

  1. I don't think you're over-analysing at all, I happen to think it's quite an important point!

    I don't use the D word at all, and instead I think of the way I eat as being according to my philosophy of food :D I was always faintly embarrassed by this and thought that it was frankly w*nky and ridiculously pompous, but couldn't think of another way to describe it. But then Jess liked it, which pleased me no end, so perhaps it's not as silly as I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so true! I eat a vegetarian diet, but if I were to say that I would just get comments about "oh what are you allowed/ not allowed?" etc. Plus going "on" a diet means that eventually you will come "off" it- in order to change properly habits and routines need to change into a healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to second what Maria said as I can't put it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. having followed a healthy diet now for 5 years or more it really annoys me when people say "I'm going on a diet".

    my response to them.... SO YOU'RE STARTING TO EAT ARE YOU?

    :p

    trouble is, the 'going on a diet' mentality stems back soooooooooooooo many years that it could take three times as long to un-do x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I read & digest them all :-)