Wednesday, 15 December 2010

You comfort zone & leaving it behind

Have you ever thought of taking yourself out of your comfort zone, you know shake up your workout routine???? I was paging through the latest Health and Fitness magazine whist in the post office queue to renew my tax disk and I read 3 stories of peeps being challenged to exercise outside their confront zone.

Here's an excerpt from the gym bunny to the boxer blog online:
"Well it’s time to take myself out my comfort zone and give my training a shake up; It’s all too easy to go to the gym at the same time, at the same place and do roughly the same thing; I want something different, I want to learn a skill and more importantly­ I want to feel hard!"
... you can read more here

The boxing one caught my eye as I did something similar ..... once!  I went to the local Amateur Boxing club for a fitness secession, nearly died, loved it but have never been back again - this makes me think I SHOULD go back.  So I'm adding to my goals list to taking myself out of my comfort zone of Mon/Wed/Fri bootcamp with "something inbetween" so in January I'm going to shake it up and go to 4 boxing secessions in the new year & will report back here once complete.

This is something else that caught my eye whilst I was paging through the H&F magazine .....
"Don't expect too much too soon":
How many time have we started to DIET and want to wake up the next morning looking like Giselle Bunchen or Elle *the bod* MacPhearson ...... it's like baby fat, if it took 9 months to pack it on it ain't gonna come off overnight!!!  My weight crept up over 10 years so I should will be VERY pleased if I can shift it over the next year or so - my June 2011 target may be optimistic or to say the very least challenging ;-)
"Involve Friends & Family":
Well they all know what I'm doing but I seem to prefer to workout on my own, by that I mean deciding myself what I want to do rather than conferring with someone but each to their own and you need to do what works for YOU.
"Make it more than just fitness":
They talk about setting a challenge or goal, in my mind it needs to be FUN as well as fitness, if you're not enjoying it then no matter what you're final focus or goal is you may very well give up.

Lara's goals for the next 12 months:

  1. I want to be able to get my wedding and engagement rings back on - comfortably!!!
  2. Go skiing in April 2011, so my challenge is to earn the money
  3. Be at a healthy BMI by mid January 2011, so my challenge is to practice what I preach "EAT LESS MOVE MORE"
  4. Run the Great South Run in October 2011, so my challenge is to keep up with my running training program
  5. To weigh 62kgs by June 2011, practice what I preach "EAT LESS MOVE MORE"
  6. To be fit and have developing muscle definition, practice what I preach "EAT LESS MOVE MORE"
  7. Beat the skipping monster into submission and be able to skip non-stop to the full length of the Eye of The Tiger (4 minutes)
  8. Be doing full push-ups in all my workouts by July 2011
  9. Step outside of my comfort zone and attend 4 boxing secessions at the Horsham Amateur Boxing Club
Say something nice :-)
I loved that little mini me decorated our Christmas tree & I'm still skipping with 1 rope at bootcamp
Decorated with love :-)
laraxx

5 comments:

  1. Great post Lara! It's amazing what doing something new exercise-wise can bring you. I think adding boxing is a great idea, and will definitely help with the fun aspect as well! Plus the rapid developments you see early on in a new sport / routine are always really rewarding.

    For me, not expecting too much too soon is perhaps the most pertinent point though. I'm so impatient, with pretty much *everything* I do, so learning to slowly build on what I have is my real point of focus at the moment. That's especially challenging -- and necessary -- through injury, so if anything I'm going to downsize my goals for next year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison, you've been exercising outside the box for a while now as you have had to and as much as you may wish it were all the same as before you seem to finding a new you to exercise. Hope its all going well with you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waking up looking like Elle Mcpherson isn't something I've ever wanted. Waking up with her however...

    Anyone else find their self perception can change overnight though? If I start dieting on day one then on day 2 I perceive that I look and feel thinner; but if I then have a bad day I see a flabby me the following morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanx tam.

    "start dieting on day one then on day 2 I perceive that I look and feel thinner" Rob thats not a bad feeling to hold on to and you've given me an idea for my next blog :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I read & digest them all :-)