Tuesday, 2 November 2010

It's all about the Apple Crumble!

OK, I've had a request for the apple crumble recipe so I will add it in todays blog.

Speaking of which, I had a little "crumble" last night ... eeeerrrrrmmmmm that would be leftover apple crumble with cream :-(  took me WAAAAY over calories yesterday but I faced the music this morning and got on the scales, a total of 1kg up after last weeks debacle, I called it a "maintenance week", but clearly it wasn't!!!!  It was the reality check I need so NO MORE CRUMBLE!!!!

First up though ........ What's on the menu for today?
Breakfast: corn bread, ham and a fried egg along with a cuppa coffee
Lunch: Wholemeal wrap with quorn meatballs & chopped tomato warmed up
Snacks: ChocaMocha porridge with falxseed
Dinner: Japanese Mirin-poached beef with steamed rice - looks yum & can't wait to try it just hope I can get all the ingredients

Exercise: I'm going to repeat week 6 of my running training program as I didn't manage to get out at all last week for a run, so day 1 week 6 C25K for me.
Drinks: rooibos tea & water

Apple Crumble Recipe:
(Based on Nigella Lawson's recipe from her book "How to Eat")
1 Very large or 2 medium cooking apples
25g Raisins
45g Light brown sugar
3tbsp Marsala

Now bear in mind the above makes a small 4 portion serving (Nigella mentions a 2 person serving if eating nothing else).  See below for the quantities I used; also note for the topping quantities that these are for the two large dishes I made (so halving them should do 1 large dish nicely and possibly quartering the quantities would suit Nigella original quantities for fruit filling??))

APPLE CRUMBLE
Apple Crumble Recipe - For the 2 bowls I made:
6 Very large Bramley apples from our tree
sprinkled over Demerera brown sugar (see picture below)
about 270g Raisins
and about 1cm of rum in the medium sized pot (as per picture below)

The Topping:
(Based on a recipe from my sis-in-law Zelda)
360g oats
455g cake flour/plain flour I used
375g brown sugar (I used light brown caster sugar)
5ml bicarb
5ml salt
545g butter
My addition: crushed walnuts about 100g to 120g

METHOD:
Heat the oven to about 190°C.
Warm the rum over a low heat on the stove top.  Once warmed through remove from heat and add raisins to soak for a while.
Raisins soaking in Rum
Peel, core and slice all the apples and place in a heavy based pan over a lowish heat. Sprinkle over the sugar and then pour over the raisin and rum mix.  
Sugar covering apples
Put a lid on top and let is steam/stew for about five minutes.  Give the pan a good shake once or twice to mix it up.  Once soft (but not mush though you understand) put the fruit into a pie dish.  Now, you can either reserve the rum liquid for either pouring over later or glug it down as chefs treat in the kitchen while no one is looking ;-)

In a separate bowl mix together all the dry ingredients.  Melt the butter and pour over the dry mixture.  Mix together well and cover the fruit with the crumble mix.

Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes.  Let is stand for a while as the apples get VERY hot and you don't want to burn your mouth and ruin enjoyment.

Smother with cream, clotted cream, vanilla ice cream, custard or all 3 and enjoy :-)

laraxx

2 comments:

  1. Ok, that's the crumble done (I'm a plum or rhubarb man myself) now how about that Japanese mirin poached beef? I'm intrigued. Where's that recipe from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, from BBC Good Food here ...
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/845663/japanese-mirinpoached-beef

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I read & digest them all :-)