Friday, 22 October 2010

Frustrating Friday Feeling

Frustratingly I think I may have made a mistake in my blog yesterday saying that I felt I was doing ok with my foods. I noticed 2 things while I was shovelling 6 chicken nuggets into my mouth (individually of course ;-)) and confirmed it when I went back and looked through my food diary.


1. I have started eating too much "raw sugar"/"unrefined sugar" as in sugar in baked goods and chocamocha type ingredients.  And ......

2. I am not eating enough fruit and veg!!!!


So what did I "miss" this week?????!!!!!!  well for starters I "forgot" about Mondays bag of Doritos, the excessive amount of dark chocolate I ate along with all I had planned into my food diary for the week ..... result = 511 calories over for the day.  Wednesday I had (but didn't actually NEED) my porridge snack mid afternoon as I could have held out for dinner, so 108 calories over for Wednesday.  Thursday was something I never want to repeat ...... I ate the leftover chicken nuggets and a few chips from kiddies dinner, along with a slice toooooo many of courgette loaf ....... BANG, 448 calories over and I still had dinner mind you!!!!!!!!!!!!  oh and no run, I was tired .... sugar induced lethargy maybe :-(

I AM BETTER THAN THIS, this is NOT what I am training my brain or my body to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's tough love time, some of the food I ate I plain and simply just didn't even think about it as I ate it, letting old habits creep back in and then some of it was "oh what the ****".

So how can I avoid this happening again????

One thing is for sure, I need to cut out sugar again.  The courgette loaf I made had over 400gs of sugar in it, more akin to a cake than bread but it is yummy so I allowed for it in my calories.  HOWEVER, I just feel that for now there is too much sugar in it that is sending signals to my brain making it waver and over-ride any sensible thoughts I  have with regards to food choices.
I'm also going to try replace the Options chochamocha sachets in my porridge with cocoa & a dash of coffee instead to reduce sugar a bit more.  I'm also going to have to read labels more carefully, there are so many products out there that contain sugar that you wouldn't think had it in them.
And finally, I have set a challenge for myself to eat a piece of fruit or vegetable with each snack to up my fruit & veg count to get back up over the 5-a-day recommended.

For those interested and keen to bake a delicious banana bread alternative try out the courgette loaf.
Can't you just SMELL the sugar!!
Courgette Loaf:
Makes 2 9X5 inch loaves

400g plain Doves flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
300g caster sugar
100g of demerara sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
200g sunflower oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
400g of grated courgettes, with the skin left on
85g chopped walnuts (optional)

  • Pre-heat the oven to 150C/300F. Grease and flour two 9 X 5 inch loaf tins
  • Sift the flour, salt, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves into a large bowl. Mix in all the sugar
  • Beat the eggs, sunflower oil and vanilla extract together
  • Stir the egg mixture and grated courgettes into the dry mixture, mixing until well combined. Stir in the walnuts
  • Divide between the two prepared loaf tins

Bake in the heated oven for 1 to 1 & a quarter hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes or so before turning them out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.

NOTE:
I have not tried it yet but I believe if you half the sugar content it should not affect the baking of the breads it just won't be as sweet (I'll try this once I feel strong enough to handle the sugar again).
I weighed the loaves and they came in at around 750g each so
Nutrition Data Per 50g slice Serving:
Calories (kcal) 190
Carbohydrate (g) 25
Protein (g) 0.0
Fat (g) 10
Fibre (g) 0.0

Have a fantastic weekend everyone and se you all on Monday again.
laraxx

1 comment:

  1. Sugar does things to your head, definately. I'm saying this whilst a sugary carrot cake is cooling downstairs but hey :P

    Good for you for analysising your naughty habits creeping in. I aim for a minimum of 6 fruit and veg portions per day and it usually ends up being 10+. Get your sugar fix from fruit :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I read & digest them all :-)